Tuesday, February 3, 2009

This is encouraging/Same as it ever was

I've been behind on my posting and keeping up with food issues, but just came across this. Given my (and the food community's) disappointment with the choice of Tom Vilsack as Sec'y of Ag, I'll take any positive signs I can get.

On the other hand, I heard on the news tonight that the owner of Peanut Corporation of America, the company that owns the plant in Georgia responsible for the current salmonella outbreak in peanut products, sits on the Dept. of Ag's Peanut Standards committee. If you are surprised or shocked by this news, you should know this is business as usual for the Dept. of Agriculture, and with Vilsack at the head I doubt we'll be seeing any real changes there anytime soon. Not to mention the interview they did with a former worker at the plant who talked about rats and roaches being dry roasted with the peanuts... 

One step forward, two steps back...

No comments: