Monday, January 12, 2009

Do you feel better now?

AP is reporting that Gene Robinson, the first openly gay Episcopal bishop, has been invited to an inaugural event at the Lincoln Memorial this coming Sunday.

You can read the story here.

All those who think Robinson was invited in response to the outpouring of criticism regarding Obama's choice of Rick Warren to give the invocation at the actual inaugural on Tuesday, Jan. 20, please raise your hands.

All those who think this is an essentially empty gesture that will get almost no airtime or other press coverage, do likewise.

All those who have no idea what I'm talking about, feel free to read my older posts here and here.

I'm on a deadline today and don't have the time or energy to get worked up over this, but I also need a break from Schubert's Third Symphony, so I'll just say that I think this is meant as a sop to the gay and lesbian community, a way for Obama to say "I feel your pain," but since Warren is still on tap for the inaugural itself, it does nothing to mitigate the original problem. 

Nuf ced. Back to work.

No comments: