Friday, June 27, 2008

A kick in the stomach

Just heard about this on our public radio station:


Not only is this bad news for classical music fans in Oregon, and for the people of Bend in particular, but this is really bad news for me.

I am (was?) the program annotator for the Cascade Festival of Music, and I've been working on the notes for their festival, which was scheduled to take place the week before Labor Day. I have a Tuesday, July 1 deadline, and I've been hard at work over the past few weeks getting these notes done for them. Now I am out of a job, like all the administrative staff and the musicians, and I assume I won't be seeing any of the money they owe me, even though I have a contract with them.

I've been looking for a full time job for eleven months; in the interim I've been surviving (barely) on my freelance work. This news is a real blow. 

No comments: